What's better than watermelon? How about watermelon ice cream that doesn't require an ice cream maker. Just a few ingredients take watermelon pulp and transforms it into an ice cream you can enjoy on a hot summer day.
This watermelon ice cream is gluten free and uses sweetened condensed milk, watermelon pulp, whipped cream and vanilla extract. It's not necessary to use frozen watermelon. Just cut your watermelon in watermelon cubes and go.
This recipe was inspired by summer. The best time of the year to enjoy ice cream. I've made a few flavors this summer including, biscoff ice cream, lemon meringue ice cream, cookies and cream ice cream, torrone ice cream, and Nutella ice cream just to name a few. And, none of these ice creams require an ice cream maker.
Even though ice cream and summer go hand in hand, the other four seasons shouldn't stop you from enjoying a sweet and cool dessert.
This page contains affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients Needed to Make Watermelon Ice Cream Recipe
A few ingredients transform your favorite fruit into a cool dessert you will enjoy:
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Ripe Seedless Watermelon
- Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions on How to Make Watermelon Ice Cream at Home
Make sure to use a ripe seedless watermelon. Otherwise you'll need to unpleasantly pick out the seeds.
Start by pureeing the watermelon in a food processor and strain the watermelon to separate the pulp.
Place the watermelon pulp in a measuring cup and combine with enough of the watermelon juice to make 2 cups of watermelon pulp/juice. Combine the watermelon mixture and condensed milk in a bowl and stir.
Place the 2 cups of heavy cream in a bowl with vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form.
Add the condensed milk and watermelon mixture into the bowl with the whipped cream. Let the condensed milk run down the edges and mix on low until you have poured all the condensed milk in and it is mixed in with the whipped cream.
Pour the mixture into a loaf pan. Place in freezer to chill for 10 hours.
I've tested making no churn ice cream with bowls and whisks that were freezer cold versus using them as they are in the kitchen. Based on the results of making no churn ice cream, it doesn't make a difference. So, don't waste your time.
Hint: It isn't necessary to place your bowls, whisks or ingredients in the freezer when making ice cream.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ideas on what to substitute watermelon with if you are looking to make an ice cream flavor that's different:
- Citrus Fruits
If you know how to make this recipe unique or suit your diet - go for it! Let me know what you did and how it turned out by leaving me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.
A stand mixer comes in handy to make ice cream. You can also use a hand mixer and once you are done whipping your cream, use a spatula to scrape all the whipped cream mixture into your storage containers.
You can also store it using recycled ice cream containers if you have them leftover from store bought ice cream or buy your own air tight containers.
Store the ice cream in your freezer for not longer than 1 month to avoid that dreaded freezer burn taste.
Note that the storage guidelines provided on this page and site are estimates from personal experiences. We are all adults and as an adult you are responsible to ensure that the food you eat is safe to eat. Since, I'm not a food safety expert, you are responsible to review your local guidelines on food storage prior to storing any food left-overs.
- Not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Other Amazing Desserts
PIN It Here
Watermelon Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker
- 2 cups of Heavy Cream
- 300 ml of Condensed Milk 1 small can
- 4 cups cubed Watermelon
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Puree the watermelon in a food processor and strain the watermelon to separate the pulp. Place the watermelon pulp in a measuring cup and combine with enough of the watermelon juice to make 2 cups of watermelon pulp/juice.
- Place the 2 cups of heavy cream and vanilla extract in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the watermelon mixture and condensed milk in a bowl and stir.
- Add the condensed milk and watermelon mixture into the bowl with the whipped cream. Let the condensed milk run down the edges and mix on low until you have poured all the condensed milk in and it is mixed in with the whipped cream.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan.
- Place in freezer to chill for 10 hours.