Indulge in the rich and flavorful combination of a Penne alla Vodka recipe with chicken. This classic Italian pasta dish chicken alla vodka recipe takes on a delightful twist by adding tender and succulent chicken pieces to the creamy vodka sauce.
The combination of perfectly cooked penne, creamy tomato-based sauce, aromatic herbs, and savory chicken creates a mouthwatering harmony of flavors that will leave you craving for more. Whether you're looking for a comforting weeknight dinner or a crowd-pleasing dish for special occasions, Penne alla Vodka recipe with chicken or without is sure to impress with its irresistible taste and satisfying textures.
Here's Why You'll Love this Penne alla Vodka Recipe with Chicken
- Irresistible Flavor: The creamy vodka sauce infused with rich tomato flavors and aromatic herbs creates a delectable taste that will leave your taste buds delighted.
- Perfect Harmony of Textures: The tender and juicy chicken perfectly complements the al dente penne pasta, adding a satisfying texture contrast to each bite.
- Comforting and Satisfying: Penne alla Vodka with chicken is a comforting and hearty dish that fills you up and satisfies your cravings, making it a perfect choice for a satisfying meal.
- Versatile and Crowd-Pleasing: This dish is versatile and can be enjoyed as a weeknight dinner or served as a crowd-pleasing option for gatherings and special occasions, impressing your guests with its flavorful combination.
The inspiration for penne alla vodka chicken came from another great recipe for Pasta alla Panna Sauce. If you like a creamy egg sauce with pancetta pieces, you will also want to try Pasta all Carbonara sauce.
This chicken alla vodka recipe can be made with boneless skinless chicken or just skinless chicken breasts. For more tender chicken pieces, use chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks.
This page contains affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients Needed for Penne Vodka with Chicken
This penne alla vodka recipe with chicken is made with a few ingredients that you'll want to source in advance if you plan on making this amazing dish.
Chicken alla vodka recipe ingredients include: vodka, heavy cream, chicken, pancetta or bacon, penne pasta, butter, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce, salt, water, and basil.
Vodka enhances the flavor of the dish and adds a touch of sophistication.
Heavy Cream brings a creaminess to the dish and helps to thicken the sauce
Tomato Sauce adds a tart and savory flavor and brightens up the sauce making it a rose color
Chicken adds a bit of protein to a dish that normally would be only carbohydrates
Pancetta or Bacon adds a nice salty bite
Parmesan Cheese adds a salty and savory taste to this dish
See recipe card for full list of ingredients and quantities.
Instructions on How to Make Chicken Penne alla Vodka recipe
It may seem overwhelming to make a penne alla vodka recipe with chicken, but if you take it one step at a time it's as easy as 1, 2, 3.
To make chicken alla vodka recipe, season chicken and roast, grill or fry until cooked. Remove skin and shred or slice into small pieces. Set aside.
In a large fry pan sauté garlic, pancetta and onions in butter. Add tomato puree. Bring to boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Add cream and cheese, bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick. Pour vodka into skillet. Remove from heat and cover. Add chicken.
Cook pasta as per manufacturer's directions. Reserve a cup of pasta water, then drain pasta.
Pour pasta into fry pan/skillet with sauce and heat and mix to combine the pasta and sauce.
Serve in bowls, garnished with chopped basil, parmesan shavings and fresh ground pepper.
Meal Prep Tips
Chicken - make the chicken in advance using a toaster oven or air fryer. Use thighs, drumsticks for tender cuts of meat. More fatty, more tender. Remove skin and shred and then set aside to add to sauce at the end.
Pasta Water - remember to reserve some pasta water, just in case the penne look too dry. Add as needed.
Substitutions and Variations
This penne alla vodka with chicken is good on its own, but it you want to try variations, here are some ideas:
- Hot Red Peppers - add chili flakes or red peppers to the sauce to heat things up
- Vegetarian - eliminate meat to make this a vegetarian meal
- Noodles - use spaghetti, linguini or any other type of pasta
- Tofu - add soy protein as a vegetarian option.
- Salmon - substitute the chicken with salmon to make a pescatarian penne alla salmone
Of course, if you have other ideas on how to personalize this pasta dish, go for it.
I'd love to here about your ideas, drop a comment below to let me know how you made this your own.
You don't need a lot of equipment to make this chicken alla vodka recipe. You will need some pots, preferably non stick, to make your pasta and the cream vodka sauce. You'll also need to cook your chicken using oven and baking sheet, stove and frypan a toaster oven or air fryer.
If you have leftovers for this penne alla vodka with chicken it can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.
Freezing leftovers is not recommended because the chicken vodka recipe is made with heavy cream and freezing and thawing is unpredictable which can cause the cream to spoil.
Traditionally vodka sauce does not contain bacon. Normally vodka sauce is made with heavy cream, sauce and vodka. You can add chicken, bacon, pancetta, sausage or any other meat to personalize vodka sauce for your own liking.
The alcohol in vodka sauce evaporates during cooking, leaving only the distinct flavor of the vodka in the rose sauce. You can't get drunk from pasta vodka sauce.
The penne pasta is boiled first until al dente. Then added to the vodka sauce to finish and serve.
Other Main Dishes
Penne alla Vodka Recipe with Chicken
- 250 grams of penne pasta
- 8 cups water for cooking pasta
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 250 g pancetta cubed (or bacon)
- 2 ounces vodka
- 6 chicken drumsticks or 2 chicken breasts
- salt pepper, onion powder and garlic to taste
- chopped basil
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- ground pepper
- Season chicken and roast, grill or fry until cooked. Remove skin and shred or slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan sauté garlic, pancetta and onions butter. Add tomato puree. Bring to boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream and cheese, bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick. Add vodka and stir until alcohol has evaporated. Remove from heat and cover. Add chicken.
- Cook pasta as per manufacturer's directions. Reserve a cup of pasta water, then drain pasta.
- Pour pasta into fry pan/skillet with sauce and heat and mix to combine the pasta and sauce.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with parmesan shavings, chopped basil and fresh ground pepper.
PIN It Here
Note that the storage guidelines provided on this page and site are estimates from personal experiences. We are all adults and as an adult you are responsible to ensure that the food you eat is safe to eat. Since, I'm not a food safety expert, you are responsible to review your local guidelines on food storage prior to storing any food left-overs.
- Not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove