These mini smores pies are just like the real thing, but without the hassle of a camp fire. Everyone will loves these mini Smores pies made with graham cracker crumbs, marshmallow meringue and chocolate ganache filling.
The best part is that the marshmallow meringue is made with natural ingredients, no corn syrup is used to make the meringue.
A great little treat to make ahead for a party or to bring to a gathering. The kids will love these as well as the big kid in you.
This recipes for mini smores pies is perfect for the cooler months when you can't necessarily sit over a camp fire.
These smores cookie cups are really simple to make and ready in 30 minutes.
If you like marshmallow meringue then you will love this Lemon Meringue Cheesecake which tastes almost like lemon meringue pie.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mini Smores Pies
This recipe for mini smores pies use the following ingredients:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Chocolate Wafers
- Heavy Cream
- Egg Whites
- Cream of tartar
- Vanilla extract
See recipe card for details.
Instructions on How to Mini Smores Pies
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Line a muffin tray with tart shells or muffin liners. Mix the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the muffin liners.
Bake for 10 minutes, let cool completely.
Place chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals until soft. Warm up the heavy cream in a glass bowl until hot. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until smooth.
If needed return to microwave to finish melting using the 20 second interval method. Let cool slightly until to a thick consistency.
Pour over graham cracker crust ensuring that you evenly distribute the chocolate. Refrigerate for an hour.
Place the egg white, cream of tartar and sugar in a metal bowl and mix ingredients.
Place the bowl over boiling water and whisk the egg white mixture until foamy and the sugar has dissolved. Use your fingers to test the grit. If the mixture is smooth, it's ready to be whipped.
Whip the egg whites using a stand mixer or a hand mixer until thick, glossy and stiff peaks form.
Pipe the meringue on the graham cracker chocolate cups.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some ideas to make these smores dessert cups different:
- Chocolate - substitute the milk chocolate for white chocolate to make white chocolate smores pies.
- Lemon - substitute the milk chocolate for lemon curd and make mini lemon meringue pies
- Marshmallow Fluff - you can use premade marshmallow meringue, but it will not hold up as well as homemade
- Marshmallows - you can use mini marshmallows and torch them just like over a campfire.
The graham cracker crust, needs to be completely cool before you spoon the chocolate ganache over it.
In turn the chocolate ganache needs to be cool as well, particularly when you pipe the marshmallow meringue over it.
HINT: For best results, refrigerate before assembling the tarts.
Measuring spoons and a measuring cup will also be helpful for measuring ingredients in this recipe.
Storing your S'Mores Cups
Once you have assembled these mini smores pies, you can place them in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. You don't need to cover them, but make sure that nothing is touching them or the fluff might end up on some of your other stored food.
These smores dessert cups don't hold up well to freezing.
Note that the storage guidelines provided on this page and site are estimates from personal experiences. We are all adults and as an adult you are responsible to ensure that the food you eat is safe to eat. Since, I'm not a food safety expert, you are responsible to review your local guidelines on food storage prior to storing any food left-overs.
- Not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Drop a comment below with your spin on this recipe. I’d love to see your pictures of these mini smores pies so don’t forget to post them on your Instagram account. Tag me at #girl_with_a_spatula and follow me @girl_with_a_spatula
Looking for other recipes? Click here to search the site for some great inspiration.
Other Dessert Recipes
Mini Smores Pies
- 1 ½ cups graham crumbs
- ¼ cups butter melted
- 1 cups milk chocolate wafers white or chocolate
- ¼ cups 35% cream
- Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine graham crumbs and melted butter in a bowl, mix well and press into aluminum tart shells or in a muffin tray lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until gold brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Chocolate ganache filling
- Place chocolate wafers in small bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals until soft.
- Warm up cream in a glass in microwave until hot. You can do this over the stove too.
- Pour the cream into the bowl with the chocolate.
- Stir until all the chocolate is melted and smooth and the cream is well incorporated with chocolate. Let cool completely.
- Marshmallow Meringue
- Mix all the ingredients in a metal bowl and place over 2 inches of boiling water.
- Whisk until frothy and the sugar has melted. Test this by checking if the mixture is gritty. If it's not gritty you are goo to go.
- Whisk using a stand mixer or hand mixer until light, fluffy, glossy and stiff.
- Pour chocolate ganache into the graham cracker filled tart shells. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place marshmallow meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large star attachment and pipe out around the outer edge making your way into the middle in a circular motion. If you have a kitchen torch, roast the top of the marshmallow fluff for a "real" s'mores effect.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.